kastel wappen

The first mention of Kastel as a town (Latin: „oppidum“) dates from the year 1237. The town was close to the bank of the Rhine and was enclosed by a wall.

 

An agricultural estate in Kastel belonging to the Teutonic Knights already appears in documents from 1257, and this estate continued to exist until 1662. The estate was located between Marktstrasse (today Mainzer Str.) and Kronengasse. This estate along with many fields was donated to the Order of Teutonic Knights by a certain Heinrich Tanzfuss. Under the condition that he deliver (annually) to the Order 100 „malter“ of grain, 25 „malter“ of wheat and one pound of wax, Tanzfuss was permitted to farm the land for the remainder of his life.

hofgut deutsch orden